OptOutside Photo Contest Rules
Sempervirens Fund invites you to enter its 2021 #OptOutside Digital Photography Competition (“Contest”). BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, YOU ARE ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO ALL RULES, TERMS, AND CONDITIONS (“RULES”). The competition is open to all participants regardless of residence or citizenship, so long as the laws of their jurisdiction allow participation. Employees of Sempervirens Fund are not eligible to participate.
- You will retain all rights to any photograph you submit—including ownership if applicable—other than those rights licensed in these rules. By entering the Contest, you hereby grant to Sempervirens Fund:
- (i) a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, and publicly perform the photographs you submit to the Sempervirens Fund, and
- (ii) the right to credit and use your name in promotions and other publications.
- Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as feasible. Sempervirens Fund will not be liable for any errors in attribution other than to make reasonable efforts to correct such errors. Sempervirens Fund has final approval of any language that appears on its website, in its emails, newsletters, or print publications with any of the photos and will not promote or endorse third-party products or services.
WHAT TO ENTER
- Sempervirens Fund judges maintain sole discretion in selecting wining photographs. In all cases we are looking for digital images of that feature a person or people enjoying time in nature.
- If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to Sempervirens Fund upon request.
- Entrants must not submit images that involve the handling or disruption of plants, nature, and/or wildlife willful harassment of wildlife, damage to the environment by the photographer, or infringe on the rights of any other photographer or person.
- All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization will be disqualified.
- Acceptable methods for standard optimization include removal of dust, cropping, and reasonable adjustments to color and contrast. Multiple exposures that have been combined to produce a single “High Dynamic Range” image are acceptable.
HOW TO ENTER
- Beginning November 26, 2021 at 12:01 am PST, and ending November 28, 2021 at 11:59 pm PST, enter up to two images (per participant) by uploading your photo(s) to our online entry form. The theme for this contest is: #OptOutside, and should feature a person or people enjoying time in nature during #OptOutside weekend 2021.
- We do NOT accept entries submitted via email or through the postal mail.
ELIGIBILITY AND JUDGING
- Images should be submitted in.jpeg, .jpg or .gif format, at least 2,000 pixels wide (or tall if a vertical image) and no larger than 10 MB. Please submit your image at the highest possible resolution (no larger than 300dpi)
- Entries must be submitted as digital files. Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be entered as long as you still maintain the right to grant us a license (see “Your Rights” above). Upon request you must be able to disclose to Sempervirens Fund when and where the photo appeared previously.
- A panel of Sempervirens Fund staff will select the winners. Photos will be judged on thematic relevance, originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, and artistic merit.
- The deadline for submitting entries will be 11:59 pm Pacific Daylight Time on November 28, 2021 Online entries can be uploaded beginning at 12:01 am Pacific Daylight Time on November 26, 2021.
- Entrants may be contacted to submit a paragraph describing the story behind the photo. Winners will be announced on Friday December 3.
- Sempervirens Fund reserves the right to adjust any deadline(s) as the result of causes beyond its immediate control.
CONTEST THEMES AND PRIZES
- Winning entries and associated prizes will include, but are not limited to:
- First Place: REI Co-Op Daypack, REI Co-Op Trail Waistpack, REI Co-Op Ditty Sack Set, REI Co-Op Camp Mugs, Sempervirens Fund Hat
- Second Place: REI Co-Op Daypack, REI Co-Op Camp Mugs, Sempervirens Fund Hat
- Third Place: REI Co-Op Ditty Sack Set, REI Co-Op Camp Mugs, Sempervirens Fund Hat
- Fourth Place: REI Co-Op Camp Mugs, Sempervirens Fund Hat
- Prizes are non-transferable; no substitutions allowed. All federal, state, or other tax liabilities are the responsibility of the winner. All details of any prize not specified herein shall be determined solely by Sempervirens Fund.
- By entering this Contest, you agree to the Rules set out herein and to certain additional legal conditions. Click here to read the legal conditions.
- Questions and inquiries about Contest rules can be emailed to [email protected].